Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday's Fact Final Week

This is kind of a sad Friday's Fact and a happy one all at the same time. I may post more Friday's Facts as I discover more about epilepsy, but probably not every Friday like I have been. It's a happy week because tomorrow is Seize a Cure for Zac!!! There are so many people that have worked really hard on Seize a Cure for Zac. Alicia, Karen, Keegan, and Angie have all done more than I ever could have. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.
I think I'll do an overview today. I've tried to cover a lot on Friday's Fact without overwhelming myself and everyone else. Some of the information may have already been posted and if so, I apologize.
Here's a few epilepsy facts for you.
-Epilepsy is a neurological condition that from time to time produces disturbances in the normal electrical functions of the brain.
-Seizures are a symptom of Epilepsy
-Neurologists, pediatric neurologists, pediatricians, internists and family physicians all provide treatment for epilepsy.
-Epilepsy is NOT contagious.
-In about 7 out of 10 people with epilepsy, no cause can be found.
-The doctor's main tool in diagnosing epilepsy is medical history. Another main tool is an EEG. CT's or MRI's may be used to search for growths or scars. PET imaging is used to identify areas of the brain that are producing seizures.
-A person with epilepsy can help to control their seizures by taking medications as prescribed, regular sleep cycles, avoiding stress, and working with their doctor.
-Epilepsy may be treated with drugs, surgery, diet, or an implanted device refered to as VNS therapy.
Thanks again to everyone that has taken their time and money to help us find a cure for Zac. I want to thank everyone that has kept up with my little old blog. I can't help but think that Zac's illness has a purpose. Maybe my blog is a part of that. I feel like I don't do enough. I live in a different town with 3 children of my own and like everyone else, life gets crazy sometimes. To my sister, my brother in-law, and my nephew, I love you guys. I look forward to seeing everyone come together tomorrow in Zac's honor and hope it will be the start to finding a cure for him.
Until next time.... spread the word, stay tuned, and count your blessings everyday.

-Zac's Aunt Court

No comments:

Post a Comment