Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday's Fact Week 3

Back again with Friday's Fact! This is really the most exciting thing about this blog to me. My brain has been spinning about what I should post this week. It's Mother's Day week and that alone has put had me thinking about a lot of things. I know some really great mothers. Mother's with healthy children, sick children, and even some who have lost their children. But my sister has to be one of the best. I admire her ability to not let epilepsy define who her child is and who she is as a mother. She has watched her child suffer, his moods and personality change, had to change the way they do everything in their everyday lives, shuffled him to Dr's and hospitals.... I could go on and on... Yet, she seems to take it all in stride. I have 3 beautiful healthy children and sometimes I get overwhelmed. I can't imagine having one with an illness. To my sister on this Mother's Day week, I am so proud of you for your courage and ability to adapt to whatever is thrown your way. I love you big bunches!! Thanks for being you and still bringing laughter into the world no matter what the situation.
OK.... (now that the love fest is over) I'll get to today's fact. I thought about a pregnancy fact but decided I'd go with the basics. We'll work our way up. I've given you a Georgia statistic, and informed you that lavender is the color for Epilepsy Awareness. But like me when Zac was finally diagnose after what seemed like forever with no answer, you may be thinking "What is epilepsy?" Well, Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which clusters of nerve cells, or neurons, in the brain sometimes signal abnormally. Neurons normally generate impulses that act on other neurons, glands, and muscles to produce human thoughts, feelings, and actions. In epilepsy the normal pattern of neuronal activity becomes disturbed, causing strange sensations, emotions, and behavior or sometimes convulsions, muscle spasms and loss on consciousness. During a seizure, neurons may fire as many as 500 times a second, much faster than normal. It is usually only considered epilepsy is a person has had 2 or more seizures. In some people this may only happen occasionally, while for others it may happen up to hundreds of times a day.
I hope you are able to learn just a little every Friday. Please help us to spread Epilepsy Awareness and find a cure for my nephew Zac. As stated in previous posts, we are having a benefit for him in Thomaston GA on June 18th. All contact info for everyone helping with Seize a Cure for Zac will be at the bottom of this post. You may also make a donation here by clicking on our Paypal donate button, or at any United Bank branch under the Benefit for Zac Shumate fund. Feel free to find Seize a Cure for Zac on Facebook and like our page, find our event page and check it out, and follow the blog. You may also check out my earlier posts and read bout the bracelets we have for sale, what that money will be used for, and how to get one. Thanks for your time and to all those that have been so eager to help. Until next time.... stay tuned, spread the word, and count your blessings everyday!

-Zac's Aunt Court

Karen @ 770-550-7093
Alicia @ 404-831-8415
Angie @ 706-741-0477
Keegan @ 706-741-0137
Courtney @ 770-366-9051

1 comment:

  1. You gotta stop posting all this sappy stuff. It makes my eyes water and I can't see the screen clearly! Love you! Thanks for all you are doing :)

    ReplyDelete