Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday's Fact Week 5

Last week I gave you the basic facts for each type of seizure. This week I wanted to touch on some basic first aid. Considering that 1 in every 100 Georgians has some form of Epilepsy, there is a chance that you may encounter someone having a seizure within your lifetime.
-Keep Calm. Reassure others around you.
-Don't hold the person down or try to stop their movements.
-Time the seizure if possible.
-Turn him or her on their side. This will help to keep the airway clear.
-Stay with the person until the seizure ends naturally.
These are some very basic first aid steps. Depending on which type of seizure the person is having, the first aid may need to be more in depth.
As I was thinking about this week's fact I couldn't help but to think about Zac. Over time we have learned things that trigger his seizures. A routine has developed with our own first aid when Zac has a seizure. I could tell you that it gets easier over time, but that would be a lie. I am probably the worst out of everyone in our family about getting emotional when he has one, but I am working on that. My 9 yr old son that is only 8 months younger than Zac does a great job taking care of him when he needs it. We've learned to watch him at bedtime, when it's been a busy day, and to keep an eye out for the unexpected. I've watched my sister over the years. She is like a well oiled machine. It's like I can see it running through her head... "Need to do this, ok. Now this, ok. Next this." What I speak of are just events while Zac was at my house, or spending the night, ect. The real story is the great job that his parents do with his first aid care on a daily basis. They are so calm. Maybe I'll get there one day. I hope that these first aid tips will help you should you ever encounter someone having a seizure and in need of assistance.
We only have a few weeks until our Seize a Cure for Zac benefit. I think I can speak for everyone involved when I say that we're all getting very excited! It will be on Hwy 19 North in Thomaston, GA on June 18th. We will have a car show, poker run, 5k, auction, live music, kid zone, food, and more. You may also donate to the Benefit for Zac Shumate at any United Bank branch. The blog also has a paypal donate button to make donating easy. If you haven't done so, find us on Facebook and like our page so you can keep up. We also have bracelets for sale. I hope to see many new faces on June 18th! Until nextime... stay tuned, spread the word, and count your blessings everyday.

-Zac's Aunt Court

No comments:

Post a Comment